Sunday 24 May 2015

CBX250RS-E Engine Rebuild 30/10/2010

In a moment of weakness/enthusiasm at the thought of burning off a CBR250R, I bought some special tools..



I know it's not the guru way, I wish it wasn't my way, but boy do they make things easier. Annoyingly I had to buy 2 x M20x1.5 bolts as that was the least I could get, but with a bit of "ohmigod it's not working!!" and hammering the bolt the flywheel eventually let go. I was greeted with what is quite a dull sight:



Umm, yeah. Moving on! With use of the Special Tool (the same as used for an NSR125 if anyone cares) and judicious use of extension bars (!) the clutch nut finally gave in, threadlock apparently being the cause of such hardship. This left me with crankcases looking excitingly bare, and a clutch looking quite well used:





The little needle bearing was hiding behind the clutch, it's for the starter idle gear that fell out much earlier on. I'd been wondering where it had got to.. The fingers on the clutch basket (the outside bit) are a tad "wobbly" on the sides, not sure if it's okay or not. The Honda part identifier KF0 is stamped on the basket and the inner, I was hoping this would be a well known model for which there are loads of spares but naturally it's a XRX350F-RE, so maybe I'll stick with this one after all.

Following the clutch came the oil pump and it's pipe:



Shortly followed by the primary drive gear and the gubbins next to it along the crank including the pulse generator (magic black box). The weird flower shaped thing also came off with no trouble, something to do with stopping the gear shift drum, and then the starter shaft (along the top of the cases) had it's gears taken off. Next up was undo the case bolts! They all came undone without much hassle, but there is one at the front which is so corroded in place that I have "stripped" it and the allen key now just spins inside. It's the last damned bolt I need to undo, I am quite annoyed. Do I chisel into the centre and use a flathead screwdriver, do I file bits off the sides and try and grab it that way, do I heat the cases up and hope it frees..?

Arse!

No comments:

Post a Comment