Sunday 24 May 2015

CBX250RS-E Engine Rebuild 15/04/2012

Another weekend, another update..

Yesterday I took the bike out of the garage where noise can reverberate and gave it a little run outside. Upon closer inspection it appears that the noise is actually coming from the top, so I quickly stripped it back down and replaced the cam holder that hadn't wanted to torque down properly just in case the cam was leaping around underneath it. The new holder and it's bolts torqued down properly, but when it went back together it sounded just the same! The only thing left was tappets, so today I set them properly with care and attention. I didn't expect it to make any difference as to my mind the sound is too heavy to just be tappets, but I put it together yet again and whaddya know, it was quiet! For about a minute anyway. It's now back to being noisy but at least I know what it is, all I have to do is get those cams to fit. I guess it is possible that I have mismatched a cam lobe and it's rocker but I am fairly sure they are all back in their original places.. It didn't used to be noisy with this valvegear at all though so I don't understand why it sounds like clockwork now.

Anyway, here is the new oil pipe that runs up the outside of the engine and feeds the rocker cover, which squirts oil at the cams:



I figured it was worth paying £7.20 to be sure this pipe was clear. I also took a photo as proof that the thing does actually work, even though I have built it..



So there you go.. This bike broke almost 2 years ago with a terminal knocking sound, and it has now been repaired to the point where it only has a nasty sounding slap at the top end. I shall have to get the new cams to fit somehow, and then it's all good! Particular thanks to guru for his help taking the stupid thing apart, and qwakers for help on putting the stupid thing back together, it was always appreciated. Now to sort out a way to change gear, and get the wheels respoked, and sort out the cams, and get it MOT'd, and whatever else needs doing..

1 x oil pipe (11335-KE5-010) - £7.20
1 x new rocker cover gasket/seal - £5

Running total: 983.92 still including unused top end bits..

1 comment:

  1. Hi, can you pass me the manual by email?
    My email is rnaltamirano05@gmail.com
    thank you very much .

    ReplyDelete