Sunday 24 May 2015

CBX250RS-E Engine Rebuild 15/10/2010


After discovering a longer bar, the bolts holding the barrel on could be undone! Huzzah!








The bore looks mighty fine, no scratches or any hint of a lip at the top and the piston seems OK too. In fact, I wonder if it has had a new piston recently, the barrel wasn't particularly stuck down either and there isn't much wear anywhere in this general area. There are also some numbers written on the bottom of the engine in yellow marker, I wonder if someone has bought the bottom from a breaker somewhere and built up the top with bits they could find. If true, then this bike has been through at least 3 engines in it's lifetime!

After a lot of impact driving (!) and rubber mallet-ing the alternator cover is also almost off, only stuck on now by bits of gasket refusing to let go. When I put this back together I am definitely using stainless bolts wherever possible, I can came damn close to having a bolt head snap off today..

So can no one tell me how often things warp if undone incorrectly? Is it likely? It's the only thing that worries me so far.. Well, that and the bits of aluminium that came out with some of the bolts clamping the cam holders down.

No comments:

Post a Comment