Sunday 24 May 2015

CBX250RS-E Engine Rebuild 30/01/2013

My, how time flies. Some time last year I stripped it back down and took the head off and had it sitting around for a bit. Then I bought 4 new valves, two inlets from Econohonda in New Zealand  and two exhausts from David Silver. I then took it all to a place called Coventry Boring and Metalling and asked them to fit the new valves and get them to seal - they said they would grind them in as needed. They also refused my offer of a workshop manual, so imagine my surprise when I got the head back and found they had reassembled it with half the valve springs upside down, apparently unaware that they are progressive. I had paid £33.60 for the privilege, too. I then took it (along with another head for another CBX250 I seem to have acquired which needed a valve seat) to Zoom Factory which is a bloke in a room, who cut the seats properly and charged me £60 for the privilege, but at least he knew what he was doing. Long story short, I hopefully have a working head and I am unemployed once more so have the time to do it. Oh hello, you!




One lovely looking head, hopefully sans knocking:



And after a bit of work..


The bolts holding the head down are supposed to be torqued to 50Nm, I got to 40 and went a bit more before wussing out. I think it'll be alright though. The carbs are also currently refusing to go back into their rubbers, even with the help of a rubber mallet - I think this must be down to how cold it is, I have a heatgun if things get desperate. I can't believe how long it's been though, crazy!

2 x inlet valves - £52.63
2 x Exhaust valves - £36
1 x Head gasket (again!) - £14.94
Zoom Factory head work: £60

Running total: 1147.49

1 comment:

  1. Hi, can you pass me the manual by email?
    My email is rnaltamirano05@gmail.com
    thank you very much .

    ReplyDelete