Sunday 24 May 2015

CBX250RS-E Engine Rebuild 01/11/2010


The rounded bolt is the one directly under the front mount which is the bit with rubber at the left of this image, you can clearly see it is more rounded than the rest:



You can also see the state of the rubber around that mount, eep! I hadn't noticed it was that bad, although I do keep finding bits of rubber that sort of shape keep magically falling out of somewhere. The book reckons replacing those mounts is a special tool job, I hope they're not.. Anyway, I tried mole grips, they won't grip it. Then I tried a punch but you just can't get the angle on it and the bolt was very quickly starting to look very butchered. Then I tried a screwdriver but again, you just can't get the angle on it because of where it is. Finally, after a bit of searching, I found a Torx bit and sacrificed it (I mean, how often do you use a Torx bit anyway?), with a bit of hammer work I have a turnable bolt!



Annoyingly, I still can't get it to even think about turning. Every other bolt has clicked or cracked and then maybe clicked a couple more times and come loose, but this.. This is something else. Other than heat I don't know what else to try, and I really don't want to go blowtorching aluminium engine cases..

No comments:

Post a Comment