Sunday 24 May 2015

CBX250RS-E Engine Rebuild 07/10/2011

Oh Good Lord what is this, an update?? :faint:

Since there has been no movement on the cases yet, I have been busying myself with finding NOS Honda bits. This has been rather more challenging than anticipated, but I'm mostly there now. Behold!



Best to view the image full size if you like to see what it all is, right click and view image/open image in new tab. The mounts and rockers came from CMSNL, they claimed to have as many inlet rockers as I could want but in the end the delayed my order for a couple of weeks and then sent the parcel with only 1 in it and billed me accordingly. It would've been nice for them to ask! The cams and valve springs are from David Silver, their prices for the cams were much more reasonable than CMS but they couldn't supply me with as many rockers or mounts as I'd like, so I had to buy from both. Luckily I have found a place called Econohonda in New Zealand (!) who seem to have one inlet rocker in stock, the shipping will likely be expensive but as far as I can tell it is the last one in the world. And before anyone asks why I've bought springs it's because there are several stories on the interweb about the valve springs in old XRs breaking up under use, I figured for £20 the peace of mind was well worth it!

Anyway, I took the mounts to SEP today to get them to press them in (again not a job I could do at home) and a disarmingly nice guy behind the counter explained that it appears that a couple of the gearbox bearings are specific to these cases and are apparently near impossible to find. They have exhausted all the normal places (Silvers and CMS) and are waiting for some others to get back to them, and this is why it has taken so long. I asked what condition the old ones were in and apparently he has never looked, so he'll let me know soon and see if I just want the old ones putting back in. I'm quite tempted by this if they're in serviceable condition, XRs aren't known for wrecking gearbox bearings and if they last another 30K miles then the replacement crank bearings will likely want attention by then too. Anyone "in the know" think this would be a terrible thing to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment