Sunday 24 May 2015

CBX250RS-E Engine Rebuild 12/12/2011

An update! It's all go you know.. So I picked the crank up from SEP a couple of weeks ago and was quite excited to finally be able to start building it back up. Unfortunately the moment I opened the bag and inspected it closely (as you do) I quickly became aware of what appeared to be excessive play in the main bearings - I immediately figured they'd just refitted the old ones and sent me home to get rid of it. So I took it back and asked the guy behind the counter about it and what he thought and all he said was "Mmmmmmmm" a few times. I left it with them and he said he'd try and find a couple more that I would be happier with. Oh, and before I did take it back I took it to a bearing shop (they do exist!) but the guy couldn't help me, it seems they are a special size that only Honda supplies. So there go any hopes of having higher quality bearings, but what can you do?

I turned up at SEP again today to see what they'd done and, as expected, they haven't found any more. The guy who actually did the work appears to be knowledgeable on the subject and is aware that the bearings are also used in a few quad bikes which makes me think he really did track some down, and he swears that they are new and are supposed to have play in them because they are C3. So I take him on his word and bring it home..

I look at it for a bit and it looks alright, and new bearings are super expensive at £93 for a pair from David Silvers, and figure I'll use it anyway. I get a heatgun on the left case where the bearing should go and heat it like the guy at the shop suggested - I'm thinking this'll never work. But after a few minutes of heat the bearing and crank slotted straight in! Everything was going far too well right up until I wiggled the other end of the crank and there is still what appears to me to be excessive play, the "timing" end of the crank can be wiggled by around 1mm in all directions which seems somewhat ridiculous. My Dad has rebuilt quite a few engines and has never seen anything like it, and I'm not happy with it either but maybe it is normal? Can someone please advise??

Oh yeah, and Econohonda did actually have an inlet rocker in stock and it's now in my box of bits so all the top end is now sourced! Weeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment