Sunday 24 May 2015

CBX250RS-E Engine Rebuild 26/01/2012

Yesterday I went to see Mr Dave East in Enderby, what a helpful chap he is. Whilst talking to me and explaining that the case is designed to just have the bearing shoved in as it has a steel band around where the mains go, he nonchalantly knocked it the rest of the way in with a soft hammer, I would guess it was leather. Why didn't any of you guys suggest that, I felt like a right dunce! This left me with such a beautiful sight..



The next step was then to put the cases together. Eek! The first time I did this the gear change shaft didn't seem to have any effect on the shift drum, so I took them apart again and removed the shifty-shaft and claw, looked at it, wondered why it wouldn't work, turned the drum a little and put it all back. Somehow it then worked! So I took it apart again, broke into my bottom end gasket set meant for the GB250 (part number 061B1-KL8-000) which was £20 off ebay, fitted the gasket between the two halves, put it together and it all still worked. I seem to have all 6 gears up and down the box, it seems springy and notchy and generally good. I then broke out the new bolts from David Silvers and after some trial and error got them in what appears to be the right places, leaving me with this:



I put the bolts in dry, without any copper grease, as that is what the manual states but it doesn't seem right to me. I understand the bolts are coated in that strange black lacquer that I would guess is supposed to stop them seizing but it doesn't seem to work that well!

Oh and to keep up the tally of costs, the shift shaft/claw thing was £92.40 including VAT, and the order with all the bolts came to £145.73. This means the total cost so far is £582.46 and there's a lot more to come yet..

1 comment:

  1. Hi, can you pass me the manual by email?
    My email is rnaltamirano05@gmail.com
    thank you very much .

    ReplyDelete