Sunday 20 October 2019

CB250 rebuild part 4

**Day 28 - 10/6/18**

More Neutrarusting!
It really is weird stuff. Also I may have put too many coats on, this was the 5th or maybe 6th layer.. I had a whole litre to use, y'see?
I was tempted to leave the frame with this weird clear-black coat but part of me thought perhaps this just wasn't special enough. I love a bike with a red frame so I decided to paint it. My first thought was to use Hammerite but some research suggests that it is nowhere near as good as it used to be as the manufacturer has had to remove everything that made it good due to environmental laws. The new kid in town is Rust-oleum which is also supposed to stick well to plastic, which is good because that's what I will be painting on top of (as far as I can tell). Cardinal Red seemed a good choice:
The paint and a bottle of white spirit (to clean the brush) cost £10.49 from Homebase and I even bought some finer/softer brushes from Screwfix in the hope of leaving less obvious brush strokes and managing to push paint into the most awkward of crevices. So, first coat!
As you can probably tell, this didn't take long.





**DAY 35 - 17/6/18**

More coats. Tuns out 250ml of paint goes a long way.
I'm okay with this, it looks fine from a distance and frankly is nothing compared to the seat that I recovered
myself.

**DAY 70 - 22/7/18**

The paint was finally dry and some bits in red bags had arrived from David Silver. Check out this frame of redness!
Phwoar. Also check out this swingarm of redness with new dust seals ready to be fitted because the old ones didn't have much rubber left!
Double phwoar.

Slot it back together..
The switch pulling mechanism for the rear brake light grazed across the swingarm and had no trouble deeply gouging the paint and Neutrarust. This in itself is not a problem because I have loads of paint left for touch ups but it is concerning how easily it came off. Oh well, in too deep now.
Fit more bits, like a shock and thread the chain on.
And more bits.
And more bits!
And even more bits (the rear mudguard)!!1!11
The airbox also went in and the wiring rerouted back into its circular clip things, for some reason I don't have pictures of that. This leaves the chassis pretty much sorted, so all that is left to do is sort out the oval mounting holes in the motor. This turned out to be a complete nightmare.. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment