Monday 18 November 2019

Michelin Pilot Activ review

I'm going to keep this short because the last thing the Internet needs is another fawning Michelin review - these tyres are great. I bought a 100/90-18 V rated example for the front of my K100 for a mere £59, I knew it'd probably be pretty good because it seems you can't go wrong with Michelin but by golly it really was the best tyre I've had on there. Firstly you get lots of tread, as witnessed on my dad's GS750 (he bought them after I wouldn't shut up about mine!):
This may have contributed to a slight twitchiness when new but that soon disappeared leaving a tyre with great dry grip and I never had a moment's concern in the wet either. My only reservations about it were that Michelin say it can't take much more weight than it might see with me (85kg with kit maybe?) and the K100 (264kg but how much on the front wheel I don't know) but at 38 PSI it coped just fine, not even wearing strangely. I also thought that there was no way that such a soft grippy tyre could last well but it just kept going and going until I finally gave in at 8196 miles which is way beyond the 5500-6000 that I normally get on the K. Even then it was far from the cords, only touching the occasional wear marker:

Only once heavily worn did the front end wobble come back during engine braking from 60-50MPH which was so very prevalent with a pair of worn ContiGo!s and with a Metzeler Lastertec. For a bias ply tyre they Activ is fantastic, I would consider it to be the same kind of revolution that the Pilot Road 3 brought to the radial market.

10/10 superb, even though they're now quite a lot more expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment