Friday 30 December 2016

BMW K100 brake pad change gone wrong

In mid-2015 the MOT man warned me that the front pads in the K were getting a bit worn, so in January 2016 I thought I'd better check it out. Sure enough one was worn quite badly while the rest looked okay.. But that still means I have to replace them all. Oh how easy it should have been! Simply knock the pins out, remove clips and pads, assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Pah.. One pin was very happy in its little hole. No amount of hammering would make this move:
Ohhh yes we're off to a good start here. Since I've had to break into the fluid circuit I may as well do the job proper and disconnect everything, then get it in the vice. I've already broken the most usefully sized drift so this thing is going to pay me for that with more service whether it likes it or not! Dremel a slice out of the middle and hammer in a screwdriver, maybe? Nope, snap the inside bits off instead. Then the rest could be hammered out, joy!
 Look, no pin!
Still no pin!!
 Very destructive but this is a special version of this caliper with the attachment bits for the ABS gubbins, so I had to save it. The holes inside are elongated slightly because the pin was made of surprisingly sturdy stuff but hey ho, it'll have to do. Look at those stupid bits of pin.
While I'm here might as well do a full brake clean and rebuild with new seals since one pad has worn so much more heavily than the others.. Wish I hadn't bothered, it all seemed fine inside!
Wrestle with the car-style fittings, it makes dealing with these calipers a real nightmare..
And.. Aha!
Of course I replaced all the pins (coated in copper grease to give them a fighting chance of coming out again!) and I also replaced the bolts that hold the two halves of the calipers together. For a brief, fleeting moment it was all so shiny and new..
Final advice - try to never need to replace the brake pads. What a horrible job that was..

No comments:

Post a Comment