Sunday 22 September 2019

Super professional crash fixes

Back on the 4th of July this year (it was raining and I still had to wear my heated gloves!) I chucked the Z250SL up the road on its right side after locking the front on some patches of road that were worn smooth and polling the rain water. It was only at about 15MPH or so but the usual damage was done - bent handlebars and a bent brake lever. This also finished off the exhaust but that was already well rotten so never mind. So, here is a guide on how to enact super mega professional back street mechanic type fixes to your freshly rashed machine!

Step 1 - Bend the bars back to where they were with a big bar.
The lock stops and top clamps can take it, they bent the bars in the first place anyway. This is actually really easy if you have a bar long enough, I used some aluminium scaffolding pipe which was brilliant for this job. Result:
I went a little too far the other way but I'm sure the next crash will sort that out for me. Next problem - bent brake lever:
For this job you will need the hallowed pump pliers on scrunchiness..
Scrunch, twist, grab, bend..
There, good as new. Sadly the exhaust is more difficult to fix, so I set up an ebay search - that'll be a separate post!

No comments:

Post a Comment