Saturday 3 November 2018

Fitting a Loobman to a Kawasaki 250SL

It's no secret that I like chain oilers, or that I'm too tight to spend out on a Scottoiler. I've had an old squeeze-and-go Loobman on my CBX250RS for many years, which impresses me with not only its simplicity but also its effective.. ness. The obvious answer was Loobman's new AB Dynamic, not as simple as the squeezy bottle but a similar price and supposedly it shouldn't cover the works car park in oil where I park up, which the squeezy one definitely does. On we go..
Time to unpack this neat little parcel!
The instructions are a bit too long and confusing, I think the squeezy version was slightly better in this regard but if you're of average intelligence like myself then you shouldn't go wrong too many times. First, thread a fat cable tie through the wirey snake thing like so:
Then inflict it upon the inside of your swingarm and secure in place, like so:
Simply snip the excess from the tie. Next bend the end of the wirey snake thing until it's kind of looking down at the sprocket, push the oil tube into the end of the delivery head and cable tie it all into place with a small cable tie.. Like so:
I chose to thread the tube underneath the cable tie that is holding the wire snake in place, if you've done it up too tight to squeeze the tube under then you'll have to think of another way! I also tied the reservoir to the pillion footpeg hanger, this gave me a nice short and vertical delivery which allows me to use gear oil (because it's thicker and doesn't fall down the tube so fast, y'see!).
The next step is to poke/burn a hole in the delivery tube - the length of tube after the hole will empty itself as you ride along, but the rest will stay in place due to the reservoir not letting any more flow out. This is what sets it apart from the squeezy bottle which was total loss once you'd sqozen the oil into the secondary reservoir. I gave up at this point and removed the chain guard, of course this being a modern bike that is manufactured in the cheapest way possible it's all one piece with the mudguard so off it all came..
With that out of the way it was easy. I used one of them oversized needle thingers, not sure what they're called. Some people use a soldering iron with a fine tip, whatever works for you.
With the tube successfully punctured just faff about a bit more putting all the muduard assembly back into place, fill it with oil and..
Success. After a few trips to work and back the chain looks lovely and oily:
Sure I have to remember to press the button on the reservoir before setting off but it's just part of the routine now. Hopefully this will cut down on all the rolling around on the floor, trying to tighten/oil my chain.

Oh by the way, Loobman themselves do state not to fill the reservoir to the top because oil will leak out the top - this is true! Not a terrible thing, but I'll just half fill it from now on..

No comments:

Post a Comment