So, you gets your Z250SL:
Next up is the big stupid side plastic bit thing. This is actually quite easy to remove, it is just barbs everywhere except at the very front where it is a push fit onto a rubber thing. Barbs and grommets:
Phew! Next up is to remove the tank. Of course the 250SL is fuel injected so this isn't easy at all.. Remove the bolts from the mounts at the rear of the tank:
The next stage of removing the tank is to pull the breather hoses off the front left. This was actually really bloody awkward and difficult as Kawasaki have used those silly wire clip things to hold the hoses in place. I ended up having to keep the tank lifted up like this:
With the tank removed, place it on some wooden blocks so that no pressure is applied to the ridiculously fragile pump housing. Oh, did I not mention you needed blocks before now? I'm just going by what the manual says.. (grumble!).
So, finally, the engine is found. Undo the clip that holds the breather (?) tube on to the air box:
Simply undo the four bolts that hold the rocker cover in place and remove them, this is a totally traditional design.
Next up is to get the rear wheel off the ground somehow. Those of you with more money than sense may have a proper stand, I prefer to use a trolley jack underneath the rear suspension arm linkage triangle thing.
With the motor in this state it is time to check the clearances. Get your feeler gauges and feel away!
This is the same as the KLX250 so no great surprises. At around 8400 miles my clearances were:
Left inlet: ~0.15mm
Right inlet: 0.10-0.15mm
Both exhausts: 0.15-0.20mm (closer to 0.20mm)
So mine are in spec, but the right inlet is tighter than I would like which means I'll be in there again at the next service interval plus a bit because I'm lazy. Interesting fact, the owners manual states the interval for this is 7200 miles but the workshop manual says 7600 - I prefer the latter!
If any of your clearances are out of spec then please leave a comment below including the gap you found and the mileage/kilometrage of the engine. Thankfully mine were okay so installation is the reverse of removal, kind of. Be careful not to trap/crush the rubber seal under the rocker cover, and you can use some gasket goo over the cam half moon things though I never bother and have never suffered leaks. My seal played nice and went back without much bother though I did have to poke it in with a small screwdriver in one place. Otherwise, simply reassemble..